some possible photo guidelines and hints

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999 krandall@world.std.com wrote:

> access)  My view remains, as it has from the start that we should be as
> inclusive as possible, and let the chips fall where they may.  That
> _doesn't_ mean that we can't make suggestions that may help people present
> their tanks in the best possible light.

This pretty much summarizes my position on this as well.  I think we
should write some guidelines for good submissions, but not limit them.
I'm starting to think the only limit should be not doctoring the photos,
no more than 7 per entry, and it has to be of a planted aquarium.

Guidelines I'd include (including some of the ideas presented recently):

        * the photos and accompanying text should be able to illustrate
your setup to the judges.  If a photo is too blurry or low-res, it will
not communicate well.  Submit the clearest photos you can, irregardless of
format.

        * Generally, you may have clearest results for full tank shots if
you submit slides, negs, or prints.  (We'd like negatives or slides if you
don't mind parting with them; cheap photo places do a horrible job
color-correcting prints of my tanks.) High res digital scans or digital
photos are generally next in quality, and lower resolution or video
captures least effective.

        * The preferable format for electronic submissions is good quality
JPEG, TIFF or other 24-bit color.  Please avoid using GIFs unless you have
no other means.

[and onto more specific photo hints I'd give]

        * When taking photos of full tanks, use a tripod and the available
light of the tank.

        * If you have a manually-settable camera, "bracket" several
exposures around what the light meter tells you is the right amount.  For
instance, on my tank at home (75 gallon, 6 fluorescent tubes) shooting
with Kodachrome-200, the meter says 1/8 second at f/8, so I shoot five
pictures (1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/30 second all at f/8).  Remember the goal
is to get 3-5 good pictures, so sacrifice a whole roll to get 3-5 GOOD
pictures.  Keep notes of your settings, so if you shoot a second roll,
you'll know exactly what exposure works right.

        * Higher speed film will make the fish look better, but will be
grainier.  Print film has advanced a lot in recent years, though, so even
800 speed print film looks pretty reasonable.  This is not true of slide
film, though!  Best to stick with 100 or 200 speed slide film.

        * Try and avoid glare off the tank. Close windows or shoot at
night.  Try different angles to see which gives the least reflection of
other objects in the room.  When none of this works, I've shot a tank
under a blanket.