Re: Amateur vs Professional

At 11:24 PM 7/14/99 -0700, Steve wrote:

>It seems that all the work here in the
>recent past to make sure that _all_ would
>be included and able to compete would
>kind of contradict itself by even thinking of excluding
>proffessionals,personally I  would enjoy nothing more than seeing a
>clic of my tank beside one of Karens >G<

Steve, I know you were joking, but just to be clear, I am _NOT_ a
professional aquarist.  I am a professional writer, artist and
photographer. (I get paid for articles, photos and drawings)  I have
_never_ been paid for setting up or maintaining an aquarium, and I do not
sell plants commercially. (unless you count taking excess trimmings to an
auction or pet store!<g>)  I purposely have stayed _way_ clear of any sort
of aquarium/aquatic plant business because I think what I have to say will
be taken more seriously if I am not viewed as peddling a product or service
at the same time.

And I have to say, that although my tanks please me, I don't know that I
could be counted among the "greats" in terms of aquascaping either.  I grow
plants well, and I've made a point of learning as much about them as I can.
 I aquascape to please my own tastes, and by that standard, I _am_ a
winner.  I enjoy my tanks very much!<g>  OTOH, that does _not_ mean that
other people will like them as much.  I suspect Mr. Amano would find them
too "busy".

One thought to go along with this though.  While I haven't ever been
involved in a project of this scope (I'm not sure there's ever been one)  I
have been involved in Home Shows for over 10 years now.  I find it very
interesting to follow tanks and aquarists through the years.  I have
several times seen really beautiful tanks at an aquarist's home ONCE, only
to go back in subsequent years and find that the tank never really measures
up again.  I know that there are only a handful of people that I have met
that can maintain the SAME tank, at "winning quality" tear after year.
IMO, the true "winners" in aquascaping won't be pinpointed in this
competition.  If we can keep it up, we will start to see who the true
"masters" are 5 years from now.

Karen

Karen