Re: my votes

Here is my opinion on everything: (eee gad...you asked for it!)

James wrote:
<<<. Where any excess should go, should that
blessed event come to pass, is also an issue which should be discussed.>>>

   * My vote would be to have the fees go to the AGA, in a fund perhaps to help
     defray costs to do this again next year..this could be an anual event! I
     think it would be ridiculous to refund it to the contestants...no offense
     David for his valuable opinion. LOW fees as possible though...

"One minor point, which I may have missed in all of the talking, is whether
it might be desirable, or even possible, to limit participation to AMATEUR
aquarists or if we should leave this alone, allowing for professionals to
enter as well. (i.e. by professionals I mean folks who earn their living
through aquascapting/maintenance of other people's aquariums)?"

   * My vote: leave it alone. There is no such thing as a professional in
artistic
     freedom, and believe me, some sloe that does tank maintenance for a living
     doesnt mean he is an expert on aquascaping...but he could be! And so could
     you, or me, or anybody else. Since this is really the first of its kind
type
     of competition on the internet, there are no established experts.

>>Do we limit folks to submitting only aquariums which they themselves own?
For example, if I design and plant an aquarium for either a friend, or a
local institution or business - and it turns out exceptionally well, who
would be eligable to submit photos of the aquascape for consideration - me,
as the designer, or my friend or the institution or business which owned the
tank?<<

   * I say, so what! Thats an issue between the owner of the tank and the photo.
     Impossible to verify, and not really that important. You have to take some
     things on faith. You CAN actually create problems by trying to anticipate
     them.

Christel Kasselmann, I vote for her as a judge.

Name:
How about "International Photo Aquascape Contest" IPAC, sponsored by The Aquatic
Gardeners Association

Judging catagories:

I like, Small Aquariums (24" long and under)
Medium Sized Aquariums (48" long and under, over 24" long)
Large Aquariums (larger than 48" long), and might add "minature", under ten
gallons
Should probably list it in both metric and US measurements.

I suggest that we ask the participant to choose the category that best describes
his style:
biotope
natural scene
abstract garden

>>I definately do NOT want us to get as anal as the
_Dutch_ apparently do.<<  Anal may be bit harsh...the dutch competition is a
whole
different arena!  I think a good cross section of judges takes care of that. A
dutch or german judge that has experience or knowledge of dutch competitions
would
be valuable, balanced with judges from north america and europe or asia.

my fingers are tired..

Robert Hudson
San Jose, CA