Re: Selection of Judges

At 12:48 PM 7/15/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Karen brings up some good points about artists not knowing enough about
>aquariums to perhaps judge accurately.  I've never been involved in any sort
>of judged contest before, is there a reason why the judges can't confer
>while they are judging?

None that I know of Certainly it is commonplace at fish shows.  I was asked
to judge a native fish show last fall, and one of the entries was a Mad
Tom.  Since I didn't know the species, (and it was only labeled "mad tom",
I asked Lee Finley for help.  He was able to tell me that for that species,
the fish was only half grown.  That immediately put it in the "also ran"
category.  But in this case, if you intend to have non-aquarist judges,
IMO, it should be a requirement, not an option.

Karen