Re: judging criteria

At 07:24 PM 7/15/99 -0600, you wrote:

>James,
>
>I've given some thought to how judges might score the entries. I guess I'd
>like to see the system based on some basic components in graphic art.
>Someone on APD listed some of the basics from photography but for our
>purposes we could limit judging to a shorter set.  Something like:
>
>Concept - (partly dependent on the contestant's written description of the
>tank) Does the entry have an evident intent, an organized purpose,
>or not?  Scored 1-5.
>
>Composition - Is the entry layed out in a pleasing manner, does it
>effectively support the concept?  Scored 1-5.
>
>Execution - Do the plants appear to be established, healthy, and
>well-maintained?  Scored 1-5.

I'd add:

Do the fish (if any) used in the tank add to the concept?

Do they appear healthy, established (as opposed to babies) and well-maintained?

IMO, if fish are used they should add to the theme or concept, not be
tossed in willy nilly.

>Note that fish (shrimp, frogs, snails, turtles, water snakes, etc) are not
>concidered in my criteria.  They might fit under a question like "Do the
>animals (if present) compliment the composition?"  Otherwise I don't see
>that the animals have much to do with aquascaping.

I don't think Amano would agree.

>It seems like it would
>be difficult to make such a consideration from photographs of live
>animals.  That would be more a matter of photography than of aquascaping.

That is a different, and valid point.

Karen