RE: Proposal - 2nd Draft in Progress, #2

James wrote to Roger et al. >The subject of Art/Craft obviously scares some
people - they are getting the feeling that you and I intend some high toned
event in which _they_ won't be welcomed. I don't think that either of us
intends that and  I think that we
_both_ feel that inclusion of all is more important than emphasizing any one
aspect over another.<<

I have to tell you that when I wrote the first message in the "Artist vs.
Mechanic" thread, I too was beginning to be put off by what I thought was
the "exclusion" flag being hoist.  Like I wrote in that message, I have the
ability to grow nice plants (aquatic and otherwise), but I was not lucky
enough to be born with a lot of artistic ability. I have what I think (and
everyone else believes) to be a very nice looking planted tank - "I ain't
never seen one like that before". However, when the mood started to shift
from "nice-looking tanks" to works of art, I decided that there was no way I
would ever enter such a competition/showcase. Support it - YES, enter it -
NO.

When I was referring to the "mechanics" of the hobby, there was no way I was
advocating that the competition should be "who can grow the biggest sword
plant." However, from subsequent postings, I began to realize that there
were obvious stages in this hobby (like any other hobby, I guess) and it was
beginning to look like this showcase/competition was not going to place
emphasis on the "novice/apprentice" stage. I have no problem with that
whatsoever, but we DO have to realize that a lot of people who would have
otherwise entered the showcase/competition would probably be put off with
that emphasis. I know I was.

Personally, it doesn't make that much difference to me either way. If I
don't enter this year, I will still learn a great deal in this process.
Besides, if we do go with the artistic/master craftsperson route, I will
always have the opportunity to make the necessary changes based on what is
considered to be "the best" and enter next year.

I say that we decide which direction we are going to take and we proceed. If
we don't get enough masterpieces this year, there is always next year when
we can open it up to more.

Ken Guin