Number of people interested?

I was wondering if anyone has gauged the overall interest in the showcase,
contest, competition, hyper-event or whatever it will be. Is there massive
world-wide interest among those not on the secret list or is this a contest
to be held amongst ourselves with the potential for broken arms and
dislocated shoulders from patting ourselves on the back?

I am curious what the response was to the last AGA photo contest (the one
Olga won?). Was it tens of entries, thousands of entries or what?

The reason I'm asking is I did something like this on my own 7 years ago
and was very disappointed in the results (I was over-expecting). I made a
video tape of our tanks in Feb 1992 and offered to send it free of charge
to anyone who was interested, hoping to get video tapes of other aquariums
in return. I had requests from about 100 readers of rec.aquaria and sent
seven copies of the tape to lists of people with the request to view it,
copy it if desired and forward it as soon as possible (Erik Olson helped
immensely by sending a few more copies out). It took 6-9 months for all the
tapes to make their rounds due to some butt-heads not bothering to spend
the $3 needed to forward the tape. Anyway, I received two tapes of other
tanks in return; one from Karen and one from a gent in Pennsylvania.

Later, I made the same offer in TAG and got requests from 150 people. Those
tpaes where also sent out and I got NONE in return.

I suspect the lack of video cameras may have been the culprit but I also
suspect a general shyness in showing off ones accomplishments. Modesty
still seems to be a virtue among some folks (George not included).

So, do we think all the effort being expended to organize this is going to
be worthwhile or are we simply going to produce a web site with more
pictures of the tanks of George, Karen, Erik, Neil and Olga?

"Geroge" Booth "feeling a little cynical in Ft. Collins"

George Booth, Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth@frii.com)
  NEW! 7/11/99: On-line Aquascping seminar, Part 2. More to come!
    http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts/