re:definition

Actually Roger, I think that allowing everyone into the Contest, but barring
them from the possibility of winning throught rigging or weighting the
judging against them would be patently unfair and exclusionary.

My view of what you said and how it could be applied here to solve our
dilema is that we have two very clearly separate Sections - people could
decide for themselves, via a check box on the entry form, which section they
wished their images placed in.

However, I think that all tanks entered into the Contest should
automatically get placed in the Showcase as well.

Please note, that in the following, a person wishing to enter their planted
aquarium into the Showcase but who did not wish to subject it to the rigours
of the Competition, could easily do so.

For example, and this is _only_ a suggestion, what about this:

Proposed Structure:

Section 1. Showcase - Open to all Aquascapes  - may or may not include live
plants,

artifical materials allowed

Division I.   Aquatic Gardens         - featuring live, aquatic plants.
Division II.  Biotope Aquasacpes   - featuring accurate reproductions of
natural aquatic
                                                        environments
(including Rift Lake, Brackish).
Division III. Artificial Aquascapes  - this is where plastic plants and
fantasy aquascapes fit
Division IV.  Paludariums               - this Division is optional

Section 2. Competition - Limited to Aquatic Gardens - featuring live aquatic
plants and

only natural decorative materials allowed

Division I.   Tiny Tanks                   - 12" long and under
Division III. Small Aquascapes        - Greater than 12" - Up to and
including 24" long
Division III. Medium Aquascapes    - Greater than 24" - Up to and Including
48" long
Division IV.  Large Aquascapes       - Greater than 48" long

(these divisions roughly correspond to the divisions Amano used in his
books. I'm open to other suggestions.)

NOTE: For this to work - we would DEFINATELY have to have entrance fees.
There would be absolutely no way that the AGA MC would approve funding
something like this in full. but I think that they _might_ be persuaded to
support the structure.

I mean, if Aquatic Gardening is _so_ superior, then that superiority should
be clearly visible in the Showcase section.

AGA member