re:definition

At 07:32 PM 7/17/99 -0500, Jose wrote:
>In George's site he recommends under Aquascape Books:
>Nature Aquarium World (1,2,3), The Biotype Aquarium and The Natural
>Aquarium, I believe that other sites recommend more less the same. What
>about "The Optimum Aquarium" ??.

Other than pretty pictures and a few comments on tank beauty, TOA doesn't
go into aquascaping very much. It is more a technical treatise on a
successful planted tank. And, alas, out of print.

> I will like to _encourage_ the natural
>aquascapes, this is a way to show people what can be made with live plants
>and some effort, not just an artificial arrangement of plastic plants.

A good goal but it should not exclude the artistic arrangement of other
elements. In all truth, some items that make up a natural aquascape
(duplicating a scene found in nature) may be dangerous in the small,
relatively  stagnant volume of water found in aquariums. The look of
bogwood, dead leaves, etc, etc, may be more safely accomplished through
inert replicas (ala Dennerle) than the real thing. If it creates an
attractive and dynamic aquascape, I would vote for it.

But no diving dogs, no matter how tasteful <g>.

>wish that my written English be more fluid to really express all my thoughts
>about this, but in one word: NO plastic plants.
>
>This where my thoughts before reading James post on sections and divisions.
>I think that it is a way to be more "inclusive", I like it. But again we
>should put emphasis on live plants. On the divisions of the tanks for the
>competition I will like to insist that is better based on volume
>(liters/gallons) rather than size (cm/inches).
>
>Jose

>  in the same message.
>  Old messages are available at http://lists.thekrib.com/aga-contest

George Booth, Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth@frii.com)
  NEW! 7/11/99: On-line Aquascping seminar, Part 2. More to come!
    http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts/