Re: Latest developments

Well here goes. I have to say I feel for Roger because I was about to post
the same kind of thing. Problem with e-mail is that it is very flat.. no
tone, no emphasis.. just words. Sometimes words alone just won't do it. If
we could all sit around a table how different it would be.

This is a very difficult thing to manage through e-mail... considering that
we haven't done too terribly badly.

James... it's tough to say..."anyone who doesn't reply in so many hours...
etc"... because we can't all be at our computer reading this mountian of
e-mail everyday, all day. Some folks will be off doing something else for
the weekend. I just happened to get on the computer this morning,
in-between doing a ton of other stuff and will be away the rest of the day.
Life goes on outside of the contest. And I must say this is all getting
rather overwhemling time-wise. For those of us who work daily, plus do our
hobby, plus have a partner and a life outside of the hobby..it is very
time-consuming.

See the problem is that we all have ideas of what we expected and as far as
my vision goes (which was pretty simple) this is getting way too
complicated. I started off thinking it would be an aquascaping competition
for aquatic gardeners. This implies real plants and planted aquariums.
James bolstered this thought by suggesting it be sponsored by the Aquatic
Gardener's Association. Why would they be interested in African ciclids and
plastic plants?? Now I see that what everyone really wants is a "Showcase"
of aquascaping ideas... which is fine with me but I think we have to then
throw out the idea of a separate competition of aquascaped planted
aquariums. I thought we were starting small (with planted aquariums) and if
it went over well, maybe have another "showcase/competition" including more
things.

To clarify why I have problems with all the complications here was my vision:
Aquascaping competion put on by AGA for aquatic gardeners keeping planted
aquariums. Entries to be as discussed by us. Categories to be simple: size,
shape, volume whatever. Judging to be by aquatic gardeners hopefully from
several countries using a check list for points. Awards (probably of fame)
for winners.. nice articles for TAG maybe other magazines.   All seemed so
simple to me. What's made it so hard?

Difficulties have come about by details. Worrying about printed
backgrounds, artificial wood and rocks....art versus mechanics...
categories.. people not on the Web... etc. etc.  If we stay with planted
tanks and all we worry about is whether or not the *plants* are real
wouldn't it be simpler? Whether or not a rock is "real" or a piece of wood
it does not affect the plants health or arrangement.

Anyhow... that is all I looked for or expected in the aquascaping
competition. I'm fine with a "showcase" where everything goes but let's
have one or the other. Either it's an aquascaping showcase and competition
for planted aquariums or it's for any aquarium at all.

Olga
in Vancouver hanging in there but slipping... wish Karen would get back