Random Thoughts on Color Printing..

David Engle wrote:

I'm not sure just how expensive you mean, but what if we got a glossy
magazine to co-sponsor the contest? Is it probable that they would be
willing to shoulder the costs of printing a glossy magazine just for us?

HIGHLY unlikely.

What a perfect forum to sell aquatic plant advertisements!

As enthusiastic as this group is (myself included) the planted tank portion
of the hobby is still _extremely_ small.

>Since apparently
there isn't enough demand for a regular aquatic plant magazine, an annual
"bonus" issue (that includes our contest results as well as articles and ads
specific to the aquatic plant hobby) could be a huge success. Is this a
good idea? Or has this been tried before and shot down?

I'd probably buy it, since I buy anything related to planted tanks.  But
how many people do you think actually would?  Where's the content?  This is
not a "photo contest" so you can bet your bottom dollar that many if not
most of the photos will not be publication quality.  Even if that were not
true, how many people would be willing to buy a magazine just full of a
bunch of photos of tanks with very little editorial content?  Look through
one of the major magazines carefully.  Look at how many large ads there
are.  _THOSE_ are what pay for the magazine.  How many plant related ads do
you count.  Not many.  The big publishers won't even consider something
that doesn't make financial sense.  I don't see any way that this does.  We
don't even have a clue whether we will get 12 entries or 1200.

> I'm sure Karen has
the contacts to find out if this is feasible or not....

I have the contacts, but I won't even approach them with this one.  I can't
present something to them that I don't have any belief in.
Sorry to seem like I'm shooting down your enthusiasm, but if you really
want to even approach the magazines with this, you're on your own.  IMO,
this one won't fly.

Karen