Karen's recent comments on Criteria

I love the idea of doing a "mock" contest to test our selection of Judging
Criteria. As George and Olga have both given me permission to use their
photos, I can place some of those in a page on the web-site to get ready for
this. As this is in effect a "private web-site" I don't suppose Amano or
Dupla would mind if I also used some of their images for this purpose either
(but if any of you have objections, please state them and I shall refrain
from doing so). If others would like to contribute images of different
"style" tanks, say a picture of your 10 year old's aquarium (Karen, don't
your two boys have their own tanks?), or perhaps a couple of Rift Lake
cichlid tanks, send them along to me (please don't send them to the list -
send them to me as e-mail attachments in a private email to
jpurch@interlog.com . I would like you to include brief details about the
tank (see the previously posted messages regarding possible info which might
be asked to be included).

Also Karen, I agree that the maintenance required to maintain an Amano
styled tank is more than I think I'd be interested in. Actually, most of my
tanks look more like "plants underwater" :-(  I know far more about the
technical details of this hobby that the aesthetic. That's why I suggested
this in the first place...., I hope to learn a few things...

The issue of "WOW" value is something that I was thinking about last night.
I'd hate to see a real "WOW" tank straight-jacketed by a too rigid set of
Judging Guidelines.

I also agree that the criteria we decide upon must be "weighted" in relative
importance, but re-state my feeling that we should first decide on the
actual criteria before worrying about the "weighting" issue.

On the issue of a separate criteria for something like "color", I think that
if we keep the actual words used for the criteria general enough AND include
a list of possible points which may be considered under that criteria, then
this becomes a moot point or a non-issue.