Judging Criteria

Ken wrote:
<<<1. Use of Materials (innovativeness, appropriateness, etc.) 20%
2. Overall Composition (balance, use of space, use of color, etc.) 30%
3. Viability 20% (I sort of wonder if someone would actually submit an entry
with a dying sword plant)
4. Overall Impression 30% (If I had to change something on this list, I
would give this 40% and Viability 10% weights)>>>

Sounds good to me, although I would like to see criteria for "theme", even
if it's only like 5% of the score.  I think  that people that aquascape
around a theme should be rewarded for it, it's harder.
  I also disagree with James' idea of not discussing the weight of various
criteria.  I think that may have something to do with some of the
disagreements.  I wouldn't mind having color as it's own criteria, as long
as it's only like 5%.  I think that the impression given when we discuss
criteria without assigning values, is that the criteria are each equally
weighted, when in fact James doesn't want theme to be 50% of the judging,
nor does Olga want color to be 50% of the judging. We *can* fine tune the
point values later, but it helps to include them now so that people get an
idea of how important you feel each criteria is.

 What we should have done is: brainstorm for possible criteria, not throw
anything out, and once we have a huge list of potential criteria, we choose
which ones we want to use, and what their point values will be.  This would
concentrate the bickering (debate, if you want to be PC) into just a few
posts instead of stretching out these debates and hearing the same thing
over and over.

Dave Engle
Escondido (San Diego) California (Jacksonville, N. Carolina in a coupla
months....)
Non AGA Member
Just a couple of pennies that I had in my pocket....