Re: "Weighting" the Criteria

I've never judged an aquascaping competition, so maybe these are skewed, but
I like the following weighting scheme:

1. Selection and Use of Materials - 10%
2. Composition / Balance / Use of Space / Use of Color - 40% (10% for each
one)
3. Viability - 10%
4. Overall Impression - 40%

If I was going to adjust any of them, I'd probably drop #4 down lower and
add weight to #1 and #3 (equally, or bump #1 up to 20%).

One thing which we use where I work to evaluate job applicants is to have a
scale of 0-10. There are a number of Criteria points which are evaluated
using both written tests and oral interviews. An O.K. or adequate rating on
this scale is a 5, with superior qualities getting higher (only rarely
achieving a 10), and qualities found lacking getting lower (again, hopefully
only rarely would anyone receive a 0). This might be able to be applied in
this case as well, although I realize that it might be like comparing apples
and oranges.