[no subject]

Sorry, I've been on vacation for the past few days.

I think the judging criteria sound fine.  Although I'm certainly no expert, I would weight as follows:

 1.   - Selection and Use of Materials-20%
 2.   - Composition / Balance / Use of Space / Use of Color-20%
 3.   - Viability-10%
 4.   - Overall Impression-50%
Obviously I'm not a big fan of the "viability" category.  I think a tank is as viable as the owner makes it.  If you do not take care of your tank, the inhabitants will eventually die, no?  Some tanks are more difficult to maintain (planted tanks being one example), but that does not make them any more or less viable.  Maybe an example of a tank that isn't viable would help me out.

Okay, I also don't understand why 2 is divided the way it is.  How about 2 categories:

1.  Selection of materials / Use of materials / Composition / Balance / Use of space / Use of color / Viability - 50%
2.  Overall impression - 50%

For the record, that's not a serious suggestion, just trying to make a point.  How are composition and balance the same thing?  Can't space be used effectively without effectively using color?  If they _are_ the same thing, why are we using so many words to describe them?

Do you see my point?

Dave VanderWall
Minneapolis, MN
(Is the heat wave finally over?)