Re: AGA CONTEST - Digest V1 #158 (Mock Judging Site)

From: Jennifer Glover
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 1999 11:30 AM

> Okay, so that I might understand the next few days of discussion, is
> it possible for me to view the web site?  Is it too late to be a
> judge?
>
> I didn't mean to bash you or anything, I just wondered why everyone
> wasn't included in the mock contest.

Jennifer has a valid point, to which I thought to add while collecting my
thoughts on the judging results:

It's understood that the contributor of some of the photos was reluctant to
expose them to a general website, but isn't this list a restrictive enough
subset of possible viewers? The mock judging itself had been opened to all
members by invitation, and had everyone decided to participate then those
same pictures would have been exposed to the entire (and still limited)
audience anyway.

It may be that one of the seven who *didn't* participate may have a
consideration in examining the outcome, but cannot contribute meaningful
input in that they won't have the same reference base from which to make
sense of the discussion.

The "anonymity" of the judges who did participate will be impossible to
maintain at any rate, since they will be the only people actually carrying
on a discussion without an inclusion of the group. Then it becomes the
choice of the individual "judge" as to whether or not s/he wishes to reveal
that s/he was #1 or #7. I think we have enough information available at this
point to work on "how" the judges responded, so it may be beneficial to the
establishment of the refined Criteria to be able to discuss "why" they
responded in their own manner. It would seem to be necessary to the
refinement process...

-Y-

David A. Youngker
nestor10@mindspring.com