Re: Categories and Information

James wrote:

As for "requiring" the size info - it's like pretty much everying else. I
_want_ the info, but where do you draw the line between must have and nice
to have? I think that _most_ people will freely give us the size information
if it is "requested". If we get a few entries without it, I think that it
wouldn't take too much effort to send an e-mail to the person after the
fact, specifically asking them to "fill in the blanks".

Dave V.:

Okay, I'm writing this based on two digests that I've received, so it's
difficult not to let everything go at once.  As far as requiring size info
goes, good luck in not requiring anything that you think we might need.  I
guess you're not convinced that size will be germain to cagegorization.  As
far as it not taking too much effort to send an email to someone, well, go
re-read your post that solicits everyone's help.  Are you going to
personally contact anyone that sends in an entry without an address?  I'm
not trying to be difficult or insulting here.  As Jenny pointed out,
somewhere in those two digests, some of us don't pipe up when we agree, just
when we think we may be able to offer an opposing view that is constructive.
Think of required as meaning "strongly suggested."  That way we won't have
as many people to contact to "fill in the blanks" that we need filled in.

James also writes (later):

Another one or two
have made infrequent forays into the limelight with occassional comments.

Dave V.:

This struck me as odd.  Limelight?  Let the tanks be there.  This is all
behind-the-scenes stuff. :-)  I'd love to help, James.  What do you need
done for now besides trying to figure out all this stuff?

Ken and Jim made some interesting comments about prizes.  I agree that some
sort of certificate or ribbon needs to be awarded.  I think a ribbon would
be a nice touch, and inexpensive.  Maybe I'm not thinking big enough here,
but shipping costs could be prohibitive with large prizes, eh?  Whatever
material thing it is we decide to award, we have to get it there somehow.
We might have to go with the "prestige factor" for the first year.  At any
rate, I would think sponsors would want to wait and see what the
contest/showcase becomes before sponsoring it.

The time table posted by James looks good.

I think we need to go low budget on this because no one can venture a guess
as to how many entries there will be.  Based on that, we cannot predict how
much money would be generated from an entry fee.  What's a ballpark figure
for this fee?  Forgive me for being from the United States on this one, but
how would it be paid internationally?

Ah, that's probably enough for me tonight.

Regards,

Dave VanderWall
Minneapolis, MN