RE: Categories & Volunteers

Dave VanDerWall wrote:

"As far as requiring size info
goes, good luck in not requiring anything that you think we might need.  I
guess you're not convinced that size will be germain to cagegorization. "

James replies:

I haven't reached any conclusion regarding "categories" - with this being
the first year for this, none of us has any idea of the sorts of tanks are
going to be entered, or the number. Suggesting that entries will be
segregated for display and judging "after the fact" is purely my way of
avoiding boxing us in to a preconceived structure which might not be
appropriate.

Dave continues:
James also writes (later):

>>Another one or two
>>have made infrequent forays into the limelight with occassional comments.

Dave V.:

"This struck me as odd.  Limelight?  Let the tanks be there.  This is all
behind-the-scenes stuff. :-)  I'd love to help, James.  What do you need
done for now besides trying to figure out all this stuff?"

James replies:

Dave, perhaps my attempt at sarcasm didn't come across properly. There are a
lot of people here who have been on the list from the beginning but who
haven't made their thoughts known on _any_ subject we have discussed - they
just sort of lurk about in the shadows.

What my post was trying to convey is the simple fact that this is going to
take bodies who are willing to actually DO something if it is going to
happen. We can talk and plan all we like but without willing volunteers this
just isn't going to happen. When I asked for volunteers, I was trying to
determine what sort of support will be available several months down the
road when this is out of the planning stages and moving into becoming a
reality. I don't have "specific" jobs in mind as of yet, and I doubt that
any of them would be too time consuming or difficult - there will simply be
things that have to get done and _somebody_ has to do them. I know that I
will be kept busy, and I know that Erik will be kept busy, and I expect that
Karen will find some time to pitch in when needed. but it is going to take
more than the three of us to pull this off.

When I asked the group for volunteers, I got three responses - two willing
to help in any way they can and a third will probably be there for us given
the time-frame but he is moving soon so he will be busy with other things
for a while. That's cool and understandable. If you are also stepping
forward to say that you will help when needed, that's great, that brings our
"volunteer pool" up to seven people.

Please remember that since this has never been done before, we have no real
idea of how much work is going to have to be done, nor the exact things
which we will be required to do. So I don't know how many people will be
needed. But since I am writing the proposal which will go to the AGA MC for
consideration, I have to have _some_ idea of the type of support that the
people in this group are likely to provide on the other end.

Some of you might be working on the assumption that once this project is
approved by the AGA that they will somehow come in and take it over and
actually run the event for us. That won't be happening. Unless THIS GROUP
can demonstrate that WE are capable of doing it, I seriously doubt that the
proposal will get passed. We might obtain some help from members of the AGA
who are not in this little group, but the main responsibility will be OURS.

The proposal will have to have names attached to it - I want the names to of
be people who will be around to actually carry this to reality.

This group, like a lot of others I have been involved in, seems content
right now to just follow my lead in the discussion. That is understandable
and doesn't bother me a bit - it could easily get out of hand and unworkable
if more than one person was leading the discussion. But so far, only TWO
people, Erik and Jose, have actually come forward and volunteered to do
anything without being specifically bidden to do so. Jennifer also made my
day when she volunteered to do anything that she is capable of doing to
help.

Erik will be taking care of the "real" web-site for the event - that's a BIG
job and vital for the event to happen. The other day, Jose posted that he
was working on a list of contacts for us in latin america and in Spain. He
is also willing to help translate our material into Spanish so that we can
get our message across to those communities. These are both very valuable
contributions.

What I am worried about is moving forward on this on the assumption that
people will help and then getting the "love to, but" kiss off several months
down the road when things actually need to get done. If people won't even
let me know right now whether they would be willing to help or not, I don't
see much hope in going begging for volunteers later. Three or four people
are NOT going to be able to do everything and if the people who have been on
this list for the past two months aren't willing to step forward and tell me
whether they will help I see no reason or even possibility of moving forward
with anything.

Either you want this to happen, or you don't. If you don't, just sit there
and say nothing. If you DO want this to happen, start typing at those
keyboards and state PUBLICLY that you will help. As I said before, the
"help" might consist merely of contact local stores and hobbyist groups in
your own area - nothing too difficult in that. But I can't do it all from
here in Toronto, nor can Erik from Seattle, nor Karen from Boston. You folks
are geographically spread out and that fact can be used to our mutual
advantage - IF you are willing to help. But unless you TELL me, I don't know
if you will, and I won't assume that you will.