Costs

Dave VanderWall wrote:
"I think we need to go low budget on this because no one can venture a guess
as to how many entries there will be.  Based on that, we cannot predict how
much money would be generated from an entry fee.  What's a ballpark figure
for this fee?  Forgive me for being from the United States on this one, but
how would it be paid internationally?"

James replies:

Money Orders in U.S. funds are available from any post office, in any
country which has a postal system. Its a long standing practice - indeed, in
many countries, the postal system at one time acted pretty much like a sort
of bank.

I don't see this event as being all that expensive to run - the main cost is
going to be postage. Notices are going to have to be mailed out to as many
groups as we can think of. Erik has outlined the costs associated with the
production of CD-ROMS - they too will be minimal and it can be done on an as
needed basis. But the actualy cost is going to be really hard to pin down
without knowing up front how many entries will be received.

The issue of the cost of web-hosting may or may not be moot - Erik is
providing the space and volunteering his time. Perhaps a dollar figure
should be given for that and something said about it in the proposal. It
would certainly demonstrate how much he wants this to go ahead

Of course, there is also the alternative - I could set this up so that it is
a money making event. We could give the money to the AGA and let them use it
for their own purposes.