Re: Costs

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, James Purchase wrote:

> I don't see this event as being all that expensive to run - the main cost is
> going to be postage. Notices are going to have to be mailed out to as many
> groups as we can think of. Erik has outlined the costs associated with the
> production of CD-ROMS - they too will be minimal and it can be done on an as
> needed basis. But the actualy cost is going to be really hard to pin down
> without knowing up front how many entries will be received.

I was going to suggest that if we have to do entry fees, we can have the
option of paying for the CD-ROM up front (kind of like getting a T-shirt
when entering a 10K run).  This is probably appropriate for the later
"entry fee" discussion, so clip n save.

> The issue of the cost of web-hosting may or may not be moot - Erik is
> providing the space and volunteering his time. Perhaps a dollar figure
> should be given for that and something said about it in the proposal. It
> would certainly demonstrate how much he wants this to go ahead

The AGA is already paying me a reimbursement fee for hosting their
site, so why don't we assume the hosting is part of that figure... say
something like "web hosting - to be included as part of the AGA site" and
"web page creation - volunteer time".  I don't even want to estimate the
time involved in setting it up & running; it'll probably make me cry.

But really, I'm very excited about getting to actually DO the project, so
it's ok.

> Of course, there is also the alternative - I could set this up so that it is
> a money making event. We could give the money to the AGA and let them use it
> for their own purposes.

The AGA is in great financial shape.  I see no reason to try to make this
into a money-maker.