Re: The brochure

Erik's comments concerning the brochure sound very sensible to me - I have
an idea of how much it would cost to do such printing here in Toronto, and
it's not a pretty picture - that's why I asked if others had any idea how
much it might cost in other areas. Any time you are contemplating spending
someone else's money its nice to have several quotes.

Having it available on the website as a PDF file would work nicely. If
someone wants to have a hard copy to pin to a bulletin board, then it would
be available in a fashion that would cost us nothing. Clubs in any country
would probably not mind printing out a few copies for their own members.
This would solve a lot of issues. If however, we do decide to contact people
and or companies by actual letter (if we were asking for a prize donation
for "Best of Show" for example) then I also like the idea of sending a hard
copy of the brochure. There should be no reason that this has to be
expensively produced (as in off-set printing) - today's Ink Jet Printers can
do some pretty amazing things. My earlier point on this topic was that
whomever does that printing is going to have to be reimbursed for any
expenses they incur on behalf of the Event (i.e. printing cost, photocopying
cost, mailing cost). Having recently done a series of letters and posters
for a charity event here, I found myself "in the hole" for several hundreds
of dollars when the organizers of the event kept asking for more and more
copies without considering the costs I was incurring. Ink Jet cartridges
(especially the color ones) can quickly add up to serious money and you
require expensive paper to obtain the best results. This _should_ be
considered as a legitimate event expense for which the volunteer should be
repaid. One or two copies I wouldn't worry about.