Re: The brochure

James wrote:
Erik's comments concerning the brochure sound very sensible to me - I have
an idea of how much it would cost to do such printing here in Toronto, and
it's not a pretty picture - that's why I asked if others had any idea how
much it might cost in other areas.

Dave writes:
I can't base this on any hard data, but I'm somewhat of a student of the
music industry, and I've noticed that many, many cassette jackets, CDs,
album covers, and various other pieces of artwork are printed in Canada.
Since the music industry is so shrewd, I've always been under the assumption
that high-quality (glossy) printing is slightly less expensive in Canada.  I
have a few friends that are printers.  I can check with them, but we will
surely have to limit any type of publicity of this sort to the larger
markets (i.e. some of the larger aquarium societies in New York, Seattle,
Minneapolis, San Fransisco, Vancouver, Toronto, London, <insert your large
city here>, could get larger posters advertising the event).  There is a
possibility that I can get some or all of this work done for less than the
going rate, but I certainly can make no promises.  Personally, I think the
grassroots format with PDF files is a great idea and an extremely viable
option for a brouchure-type format.  I'm also offering the suggestion that
we think about some larger advertisments to hang up at some of the aquarium
society meetings throughout the world.  I think money would be better spent
there than on small brochures.

Also, I have access to the full-blown Adobe Acrobat product at work, if we
need it.  I know I'm jumping ahead to ask about artwork, but has anyone
thought about it?  I've never really fancied myself a graphic artist.

Dave VanderWall
Minneapolis, MN