My opinion - FWIW

James et. al:

You asked for opinions, so here are some of mine: I think you know where I
stand with setting a limit on the number of people who can enter. I would
much rather see a $5 fee required that would probably be self-limiting. I
just think that announcing a limit makes the whole event sound cheesy,
understaffed, and unsure of itself.

If we rely on sending PDF certificates to the winners, we are circumventing
one of Karen's requests - to reach out to all AGA members, even ones without
computers. I think we should, at least, snail mail certificates to the
winners. That, plus recognition in TAG, our website (and possible their
local aquarium society) and on the CD, should be enough as far as rewards
go.  If we get 500 entries and $2500 in entry fees, we can use the surplus
to reduce the price of the CDs and/or buy nicer gifts for the judges. If we
still have any left over, we could let the AGA use it or save it for us next
year.

Right now, we have numerous volunteers to scan photos, so I don't think we
are going to run into staffing problems when it comes to processing photos.
If we do, we can always solicit the APD and local aquarium societies for
help - some of them have elaborate websites and would probably be glad to
help out if needed. Please remember that our little "steering committee" was
thrown together in a hurry from just a few posts on the APD. If we get a
great deal more entries than we anticipate (doubtful), I am sure there are
many people out there who would love to get involved in the latter stages of
this event (as compared to the early stages where there has been a lot of
mud wrestling going on).

My vote is to set a $5 entry fee per entry and that no limit be set for how
many can enter. I also vote on mailable certificates for the first three
places of each category, and one each for the best of show and the "peoples'
award".

Regards,

Ken Guin
Arlington, VA