Re: Prizes/Awards

I looked at the URL for the ribbons - I didn't really know that they could
look that nice (I don't go to many horse shows). It would appear that it
would be possible to have the graphic that the AGA has on it's material
placed onto the ribbons for very little extra - that would be a nice touch.

Dave worked out some costs - I notice that mailing tubes are mentioned - you
are suggesting that individual ribbons be placed into mailing tubes I
assume? That would keep them from getting "folded, spindled or mutilated" in
the mail system. That sounds sensible to me.

If the ribbons are a "go", I think that "certificates" can be put to rest
(i.e. forgotten).

I also assume that ribbons would be given to "Best of Show" (one or more???)
and "People's Choice" (again, would there be only ONE of these, or would we
allow for "People's Choice" in each Category???)

Now, on "prizes" other than ribbons for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in each
Category - what are people's thoughts - one for "Best of Show", naturally,
but should we try for one for each 1st place winner in each Category as
well? I don't want this to get too out of line here - are we thinking of
asking for ONE prize or SIXTEEN prizes? (again - I'm not thinking of
anything other than a ribbon for "People's Choice").

I think that the shipping cost estimate given in the earlier post is
woefully inadequate - safe shipping of merchandise will require LARGE boxes
with LOTS of cushioning/packaging material. I just received ONE sixteen
ounce bottle of a supplement from one of the major manufacturers (I'm a beta
tester for their new products). It was shipped in a box that had at least 6
inches of styrofoam peanuts around all sides - the box was BIG, and cost
them a LOT to send (they shipped it UPS, Special Delivery).

As for letters to the companies - I can WRITE the letter, but I'm not the
best person to handle storing/sending out prizes as I am in Canada (we've
been over this before - someone came forward and volunteered their garage).
When I do write the letters - do you think that I should be specifically
requesting that they consider giving us "gift certificates" or "vouchers"
which we can give to the winners and that the companies ship the items
directly to the winners after the vouchers are returned to the company by
the winners?????

(For example - I'd hate to see an Eheim filter be subjected to shipping
stress more than ONCE, if at all possible.)

But I say once more - no companies are to be contacted UNTIL AFTER we get
AGA approval for this. We cannot go to anybody claiming that we are
soliciting for the AGA until we get the organization's approval - end of
story.

Erik (or someone) said that it is not necessary to announce prizes up
front - I need more convincing on this - please elaborate on your thoughts.

As for placing a "time limit" on when entries can be suggested - please keep
in mind that there is a 4 month delay between when a magazine gets a letter
advising them of the event and asking for editorial support (like a mention
in their "events" listing) and when that hits the streets. Our online push
for entries can be going on during this four month period, but it is going
to take a while to ge the web-site together and the prizes collected.
Nothing is going to be "pre-announced" until everything is in place - I want
this to look professional, not slap happy.