Categories

I apologize if this hits twice - i posted it  awhile ago and i don't see it.

I suggest the following as a "basic" set of Categories.

Divisions:

1. Underwater Gardens
2. Natural / Biotope Aquascapes
3. Artificial Aquascapes
4. Miscellaneous Aquascapes
5. Paludariums

You will notice that I haven't set up a separate division for Brackish
Aquascapes. The main reason is that, when you really sit down and think
about them, a brackish tank can easily be placed into either the "Biotope",
"Artificial" or "Miscellaneous" division, depending upon how it was set up.
There is nothing "special" about a brackish tank other than the limits
imposed by the salt content of the water. There is nothing special about the
aquacsaping involved.

The name of the "Miscellaneous" division could be changed to something more
appropriate - I just think that we need a place to put things which don't
fit elsewhere.

If we further subdivide the "Divisions" into "Classes" based on tank size,
we can separate small, medium and large aquascapes from one another. I think
that everyone will agree that different sized tanks present unique
opportunities and requirements on the aquascaper and that they really should
be considered separately. As a starting point for discussion, I suggest that
"small" be considered anything under 30 gallons, "medium" be 30 to 90
gallons, and "large" as anything over 90 gallons.

This would give us 15 separate categories or "Classes":

1.a   Underwater Gardens - Over 90 Gallons
        - Aquatic Gardens
1.b   Underwater Gardens - 30 -  90 Gallons
        - Aquatic Gardens
1.c    Underwater Gardens - Under 30 Gallons
        - Aquatic Gardens
2.a   Natural/Biotope Aquascape - Over 90 Gallons
        - Reproductions of Natural Systems (e.g. Amazonian, Malaysian,
Asian, Rift Lake, etc.)
2.b   Natural/Biotope Aquascape - 30 - 90 Gallons
        - Reproductions of Natural Systems (e.g. Amazonian, Malaysian,
Asian, Rift Lake, etc.)
2.c    Natural/Biotope Aquascape - Under 30 Gallons
        - Reproductions of Natural Systems (e.g. Amazonian, Malaysian,
Asian, Rift Lake, etc.)
3.a    Artificial Aquascapes - Over 90 Gallons
3.b    Artificial Aquascapes - 30 - 90 Gallons
3.c    Artificial Aquascapes - Under 30 Gallons
4.a    Miscellaneous Aquascapes - Over 90 Gallons
4.b    Miscellaneous Aquascapes - 30 - 50 Gallons
4.c    Miscellaneous Aquascapes - Under 30 Gallons
5.a    Paludariums - Over 90 Gallons
5.b    Paludariums - 30 - 50 Gallons
5.c    Paludariums - Under 30 Gallons

It is quite probable that some categories will not receive enough entries
for judging as separate groups - I doubt that we will get a lot of
paludarium entries.

That gives us a mazimum of 15 different "categories" in five separate
"divisions".

Anyone have any comments or suggestions? Have I missed any types of tanks?