Budget figures from left field

I think that Erik has responded to the query regarding the $10.00 per charge
for "judges CD's". I too recall Karen's comments way long ago about this and
I happen to agree with her - Erik has enumerated what he is prepared to do
to help make this contest a reality and if he's going to make a few dollars
on a couple of CD's I'm not about to complain. you might also wish to check
the archives regarding a comment I made to Dave Gomberg long ago when he
tried to undercut Erik's pricing. I'm not looking to spend money
unnecessarily, but neither an I interested in running Philene's Bargin
Basement (sorry, the spelling may be wrong, but it is or was a rather famous
store in Boston). Hopefully, you will all catch my drift.

As for where I got the figure of $20.00 per to ship prizes - well, I admit
it is a "guess". At this point in time, we have no prizes, and won't have
any until AFTER this proposal is approved. I think that the AGA-MC will
realize that - it will certainly be made clear in the actual written
proposal. I don't wish to submit a budget that is not going to cover the
potential costs of this - if we come in way under budget due to a
preponderance of gift certificates that is something I can live with and I
don't think it would cause a problem with the AGA-MC. This is the first time
we are doing this and a lot of our initial plans are subject to change and
adjustment as we go along. If this gets done a second year, the budget can
be more concrete. For THIS year, I think that it is important that I very
carefully point out to the AGA-MC the MAXIMUN amount that they stand to
spend, even if we get NO entries.

But please get over an American-centric point of view when looking at costs.
While it might not cost much to send stuff from Maine to California, it
might cost quite a bit to send a few boxes to Australia or to Hong Kong. We
don't know WHERE our winners are going to come from and this is supposed to
be organized as an International event.

James Purchase
toronto