Updated Links

I have just (10:00 A.M. EST) uploaded the latest version of the links I
would like to see used on the event
web-site.(http://www.interlog.com/~jpurch/webs/Links/Links.htm)

They are arranged by topic, as follows:

Aquarium Photography
Scanning Photographs
Aquariums - General
Aquascaping - General
Aquatic Plants
Planted Aquariums - Technique
Biotope Aquariums
Eye Candy
Tropical Fish
Brackish Aquariums
Paludariums
Commercial Aquarium Links
Aquarium Magazines - Print and Electronic

Some of you may be wondering (and one person has asked privately) what some
of these have to do with Aquascaping. I think the more pertinent question
might be how they relate to the event as a whole.

The web-site will be online before we make the formal announcement of the
Showcase/Contest. Potential entrants will be directed there to obtain
information about the event and details on how to enter. It can also act as
a resource center for people as they prepare their entries (i.e. perhaps
some folks might like to set up a new tank just for their entry). I have
tried to be as inclusive as possible - there are some sites which are really
specific as to topic and others which are more general. There are also some
which are there merely to act as inspiration (the eye-candy).

Some may question the inclusion of commercial sites - especially mail order
retailers. Each mail order company I listed carries items specific to the
task of aquascaping an aquarium and in several instances I plug the fact
that certain companies carry certain hard to find products (like the fact
that m3 will now carry Duplarit K & G, Duplaplant and Duplaplant 24 -
resolving a problem that North American Dupla fans have faced for a while).
I also admit to putting in plugs for people who have helped us (Dave
Gomberg) and people I have personally dealt with and found to be honest and
reliable producers (m3, Aquarium Hobbyist Supply, Big Al's, Karl Schoeler).

I think that they ALL have a place. We want people to enter the event. In
order for them to do that, some may need to set up new tanks or adjust
existing ones. Some _may_ need equipment which they could find hard to get
(how many times have I read posts both on the APD and on USENET where people
are looking for aquascaping tools?). Our web-site can be used as a resource
for them, helping them become better technicians and better aquatic
gardeners.

I also asked Dave Gomberg about his Amazon photos, which he used to have
on-line. Space considerations on his server forced him to take them down,
but Erik will probably upload them to the KRIB somewhere. They have
absolutely NOTHING to do with aquascaping per se, but every good aquascape
(in my mind anyway) starts with an idea. It is a place where we can dream.
Most serious hobbyists would give their right arm for the chance to visit
the Amazon and see the home of so many of our fish. I think that Dave's
pictures of his Amazon adventure would be a great addition - hopefully a
source of inspiration for some aquascapers.

I haven't listed every possible link that I could have, just ones which I
happen to use regularly and ones that I trust. If anyone has suggestions,
I'm open to listening, but the general silence which usually accompanies my
requests for input leds me to think that I'm going in the right direction
(either that or you just don't care....).

Again, Erik, is the HTML OK? I'm not suggesting that the list appear on the
web-site exactly as I present it here but I've tried to stay away from the
use of "font" attributes and anything which would confuse browser software
other than what I have.