Re: Links

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, James Purchase wrote:

> I have uploaded a single page containing those that I feel are most
> appropriate for our needs - please take a look at
> http://www.interlog.com/~jpurch/webs/Links/Links.htm.
>
> Erik, could you please check the HTML - is there ANYTHING in the code for
> that page which shouldn't be there or that you would have to strip out
> before using it on the "real" web-site?

Sorry about not getting back sooner; just got my new CPU in and have been
spending the whole day editing my club newsletter, pausing only for quick
e-mail checking.  And today we're out of here in a few minutes to go
birding.

OK, here's the deal.  I will definitely edit to fit the global style
sheet.  There's no way around that, even if you use nothing but basic html
formatting.

For instance, in the example code, you use

instead of

<h2>Header Goes Here</h2>

probably because the normal display of Header 2 doesn't appeal. My
approach will be to use the latter form and describe the display of Header
2 in the stylesheet (1.2em in size, Bold, Italicised, and left-justified,
using font X).

Likewise, you use

And I'll probably change that to

and describe how class "annotation" works... i.e. offset this a little to
the right, maybe italicize it.

But the key is, DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT!  I'm fine starting from the
Fontpage-generated document (I'm even fine working with a Word document!).
It's actually a good thing; it gives me some hints as to how you think it
should look.

My point last week was just don't re-edit it with FrontPage *once I've
added it into the official site.*

> All of these sites have been contacted for permission - a number have
> already gotten back to me with a "yes" (nobody has declined so far....).
> Several expressed surprise that I would even ASK them, it seems that not
> many people ask before linking. My main concern about wanting to have
> permission first is due to the fact that hopefully this will be sponsored by
> the AGA and I don't want the organization accused of plagiarism. Am I being
> overly cautious?

I think it's nice to ask to link, but not necessary.  I always am grateful
someone asks to link, and I always tell them it's not necessary but
thanks.  So what you are doing is OK, and it lets them know we're out
there.

> Erik - I was speaking with Steve Pushak regarding the article he wrote for
> the latest TAG. Do you think it would be possible to have that loaded onto
> the AGA web-site (as Neil's article on SAE's is) so that it could be
> available to the general public? The same goes for Roger Miller's article on
> aquarium photography in the latest TAG. Should I ask Mary McCaw?

I will forward that to the MCM where Neil or Mary can answer.  I think the
most important thing is to ask Steve (which you did) and Roger.  I've been
bugging Neil for years to get more sample articles up anyway.

> Also Erik, could you please let me know when the U.S. Postal Service
> delivers the hard copy of the Proposal to your doorstep? I'd just like to
> know.

Showed up in yesterday's mail (which we finally picked up at 10PM!).