Up to date

Folks,

I've been getting feedback from the AGA MC, slowly but surely.....
suggestions and minor modifications, a word here and a word there....
nothing too major. I'm incorporating them into the Preliminary material as
they come in, and that material has been changing every few days.

So far, I've heard from Diana Walstad, Karen Randall and Neil Frank - all of
whom have stated that they will support the proposal and recommend it's
adoption by the AGA MC.

I'm kind of surprised (not really!) and more than a little disappointed
(REALLY!) that so few people seem to be taking the time and/or making an
effort to read the material I have posted to the Preliminary web-site
(http://www.interlog.com/~jpurch/webs/content/Default.htm) and commenting
upon it. It feels like I'm working in a vacuum here folks! Feedback helps!

Is this how it's going to be once the event receives AGA approval???????

At the very least, I'd like to know if I'm going in the right direction or
not with the content. I'll be REALLY pissed off if someone waits until this
is online before they open their mouths with a "Well, I thought it should
have been done differently.... but..." bit.

Neil Frank requested some clarification of one part of the Proposal - the
description of how judges "place" each entry within a Class and who decides
the winners. When I wrote this section of the Proposal, I knew that the
judge's section of the web-site would have a facility to allow them to enter
and adjust their scores but I wasn't sure as to how Erik would manage to do
it, so I kept the description of it intentionally vague and "general". This
is going to have to be re-written and firmed up - to stress the fact that it
is the rank which is important, not the actual numerical score each entry
receives.

That section should also go into the "Guidelines" section of the web-site
for the public, so that people can understand how the scoring works.

Erik - regarding the preliminary content as a whole, I know that you can't
or don't intend to use the code generated by Front Page but I tried
stripping out all of the HTML which FP inserts and end up with a group of
documents which don't make much logical sense - i.e. there is no grouping.
The way it looks on each page is how I think it SHOULD logically flow on the
final site, whether that logical flow is accomplished through css or regular
HTML is beyond me.

I have looked at the sample pictures from George that you have posted and I
have the following comments (don't get pissed - these are just comments):

1. The images themselves are fine.

2. I know that they were "quick scans" but in most of the images they could
have been cropped a little tighter to remove the slim black edges which
appear on some but not all of the sides of some images. This would just add
a bit of "uniformity" to the pictures as a group.

3. The various sizes of images (thumbnails, medium and large) should all
share the same pixel size, if possible - i.e. all horizontal thumbnail
images should be the same pixel size and all vertical thumbnail images
should be the same size. This would possibly mean that the actual
magnification of different thumbnails might be different but for
presentation together on a page they would "hang together" a bit better.

3. I know that traditional HTML focuses on content rather than on
presentation (i.e. who cares how it looks on the screen, it's the words that
matter...) and that may be behind the abhorrence some people have for things
like text in tables and "single pixel GIF's" used to manipulate the layout
of a page on a computer screen, but I really would like to see an
attractive, logical and uniform layout used throughout the web-site. I don't
know how to accomplish this using css and not using tables to restrain text.
I hope that you do, <g>.

4. The navigation icons don't work for me, either visually nor logically.
Here again, we need a metaphor for the WHOLE site that is consistent
throughout, i.e. - regardless of WHERE someone is on the web-site, they
should KNOW which web-site they are on, the "title" for each page should
appear in the title bar of the browser, every image should have an "alt"
description added, and people should be able to get from any point in the
web-site back to the home page in a single click, should they wish to. This
was what I meant earlier which I enquired whether or not you had given any
thought to "how" this thing was going to look and work.