Re: 2nd round of comments

On Thu, 9 Mar 2000, James Purchase wrote:

> One thing I did notice is how this "change scale" facility is integrated
> into the site. When I first entered the "Sample Entry" page and noticed the
> explanation regarding the "change scale" facility, I decided to try it.
> Clicking on the "change scale" menu item took me to the right page but once
> I made the change and clicked "save", I was re-deposited on the Welcome
> page, not sent back to where I had come from (the Sample Entry page). I
> don't know if it is even possible, but could this be done so that it knows
> where you were when you invoked this "change scale" and then send you back
> there, rather than to the Welcome page? This might be impossible, I don't
> know.

It actually used to work exactly as you describe... click on "change
scale", and immediately retry the current "operation" with the new
scaling.  I changed the behavior when I added the help screen that
explains what's going on.  I will see what I can do to add the other
feature back, as it's one I like as well.

> George's Sample Entry looks good - did you edit out his "other information"
> on purpose? (he did go into a great deal of detail).

I need to re-do George's info.  I entered that when my computer was in the
shop and used whatever cut and paste I had at the time.  I will restore
the other info & filter paragraphs.

> I like the "Register" and "Log On" facilities - and the same question comes
> up with the "Log On" facility as with the "change scale" bit. If a person
> tries to log on before registering - they are advised that they must
> register first - this is fine. But after you register, when you log on,
> shouldn't that indicate that you want to either submit an entry or change an
> entry you made earlier?

So you're saying we should direct them to the "entries" page rather than
the welcome page.  This is a good idea; I can definitely do this.  I
already have the text for this page dependent on whether or not they have
an entry filled out.

> In the "registration" area, it would help if you explicitly tell people how
> long the password should be to cut down on the frustration of having to do
> it multiple times until they get it right.

Hmm, I thought it says it has to be at least 6 characters.  Or do you mean
on the same line as the "Password" label?  With luck, I will be able to
make that dynamic by tomorrow.  I've got everything you read on the site
completely dynamic EXCEPT for the field labels (i.e. "Username",
"Password", Tank Volume, etc.). I'm hoping to install some kind of scheme
for pulling these too, because at that point we can do full language
translations (localization) with no pain... the translator edits a file
with all the words in it.

> I don't know how clear those last paragraphs are - but I think that more
> context needs to be given to these areas so that people know what they are
> for and more pages might need to be added.

Thanks for the suggestions; I'll add as necessary.  I'm assuming we'll be
adding and refining these sorts of contextual clues as we go along.