Re: judges & PR

>Your list contained all the people I would have suggested, plus a whole
>lot more.

Granted. However, do you have any preference for say, the first 5 people who
we should contact? If we have a list prepared of those we'd most like to
have, we could go through the list one at a time and ask the people.

To everyone - If you don't have anyone else to add to the list I have
posted, could you please cut and paste the list into a message and note your
top 5 choices. That way we could at least have an idea of some concencus on
the most popular people.

>On another note, where does our magazine/pubs PR campaign fit in the
>timeline, who is taking charge of this, and when will it start? :)  Would
>someone like to adapt the entry form (+some of the guidelines) on the
>website into a pamphlet we could mail to aquarium societies, or should I
>do this?

I would prefer that the web site be finished before we do any more PR. At
least as far as having a final graphic in place for the mast head, the pages
formatted the way you intend them to ultimately be, the FAQ you suggested in
place and at least started (BTW, excellent idea. I've started working on
some probable questions and answers).

Again, to the group - Erik asked if anyone had a suitable image to donate. I
know that several of you have aquacaping pictures - I've seen your web
pages. Why not send Erik some pictures?
The sooner this is done, the sooner we can move forward.

My reasoning for this is that a lot of web surfers have a very short
attention span and you only get one chance to make a first impression. I'd
rather not invite people into a "construction zone" - let's ensure that it
is as close to looking as we want it to before we widen our audience any
further.

Due to our budget restrictions, most of our "contacts" are going to have to
be done via the internet and e-mail; however as our event is internet based,
this isn't a problem - most of those we want to get in touch with will be
reachable very easily via e-mail.

Karen had suggest earlier that SOP within the organized hobby was to send a
Word file as an e-mail attachment to the person doing the club newsletters.
This way, info would get published in their next newsletter at no cost to
the originator. sounds like a good idea to me - didn't someone have a list
of clubs, at least the North American ones?

So, from my point of view, here is what I think needs to be done. I have
numbered them in sequece - note that several things can happen at once.:

1. Web site finished. (final title graphic, page layout and formatting
finalized, FAQ integrated.)
1. Contact made with hobby related magazines, announcing event and asking
for editorial support/comment/notice. (I can deal with this.)
1. Discuss possible judges. (I NEED input from the entire group on this.)

2. Contact made with major web sites and clubs regarding event. (We'll need
someone to write something up and co-ordinate this - it won't be me.)
2. Web site translated into other languages.
2. Start contact potential judges.

3. Request letters out to potential prize donators asking for their surrport
and prize donations. (I'll do this)
3. Finalize judges.

James