Re: AGA CONTEST - Digest V1 #306

At 04:12 AM 5/20/2000 -0700, James wrote:

>I just noticed that Claus Christensen is referred to as manager of Tropica
>on our web site. His correct title should be Managing Director. Kaspar Horst
>has retired from active involvement with Dupla (according to my e-mail
>correspondence with him), so maybe we should describe him simply as
>"co-founder of Dupla, Germany".

Why not say that he is editor of the German Magazine, Aquarium Heute.  He
still does that, and enjoys it, even in "semi" retirement.

>P.S. - as you've probably noticed, I took your advice regarding "reminders"
>and posted a note to the APD and to the USENET newsgroups regarding the
>showcase. I also hit several cichlid lists with the same notice.

It is also out in the most recent (July) issue of AFM.  And on that topic,
now that I am one of the judges, I feel that it is inappropriate for me to
push the contest more in my column.  You might want to work on getting
Chuck Davis to give it another plug or two.

I would also appreciate it if the title of the thread, "AGA Tax Status" be
either changed or dropped. The discussion is not germain to or appropriate
for this list.  Whether the AGA becomes a _charitable_ organization or not
is still very much up in the air, so whether these people could get a tax
deduction or not is not a sure bet even when we are properly incorporated
and have a tax ID#.  It is _not_ an unusual situation for a hobbyist
organization in the U.S. not to be incorporated, regardless of what people
here might think.  Any of these companies that deal with any regularity
with hobby organizations _knows_ that most don't have a tax ID#.

Anyone who is truly concerned with the tax status of the AGA is welcome to
contact me or any other member of the steering committee with an offer to
help that overworked group of people sort through all the ramifications of
the various possibilities.  We will head you in the direction of the
appropriate committee.  We are always happy to hear from new helping hands!

Karen