Re: People's Choice

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, James Purchase wrote:

> Erik,
>
> I just posted another note to USENET regarding the event and something just
> struck me.......pardon me if you have already thought of this, but we
> haven't publicly discussed it much....
>
> The judging is to be by ID number alone - the judges will not know the
> identity of  the entrant until after the fact.
>
> When do you plan on posting the entant's images and set-up details to the
> web site? If we are going to have a "People's Choice" award, it would seem
> logical that this selection be made during the same time frame that the
> judges are reviewing the Contest entries. This would mean that on October
> 1st or as soon as possible after that, ALL entries to both the Showcase &
> the Contest are online and visible to the public. You will have to arrange
> things so that the personal details (name and address) of the entrants is
> hidden from view until after November 30th, otherwise the anonymity of the
> judging will be compromized but the images have to be up and online for the
> public to have the chance to vote for the "People's Choice" award - so that
> can be announced on November 30th as well.

I could definitely do this.  To tell the truth, I hadn't thought about it
up to now.  It will probably require people to register with the site, in
order to avoid ballot stuffing.  Either that or we make it "entrant's
choice" and allow only those who registered as entrants to vote.  Third
alternative is that the people's choice voting is done via e-mail (which
would be a quick way to at least have (weak) verification.

In either case, if we were to do this, then the entries would be visible
during the same period as the judging.

One wrinkle.  Copyright notice on the photos.  Was not going to release
them to public viewing without the copyright notices.  Do we just bite the
bullet and show them anyway?  (Except for the judges)