Re: People's Choice

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, James Purchase wrote:

> My initial thinking was that entries would be entered into the web site as
> they came in and were scanned. I never expected them to be "viewable" until
> after the closing date - that would mean that images would/should be
> viewable shortly after September 30th. I know that to date we don't have
> many entries, but it will be a monumental task for you if you leave it
> (entering them into some sort of database) to the last minute.

I never planned to wait until the very end.  I already have everything in
place to get the entries "ready".  Just waiting for the right opportunity
to start the first batch.

> Remember
> there is only 2 months between the closing date of the contest and the date
> set to announce the winners and I want to give the judges as much time as
> possible to do their work - I don't think that they would be impressed (or
> be able to do a very good job) if we present them with a two week window in
> which to work.

My plan is that on September 30th, I will have everything received to date
already scanned in, and expect to only be finalizing the entries as they
come in.

> As for copyright, is it necessary that the name appear superimposed over the
> image? Could it not appear below each image?

I think it is necessary.  People copy jpegs all the time.  People don't
put images on their website with notices below.  They put the notice right
on the image, so when people save them off on their local machine, the
annoying notice rides with it.

> What about:
> "Image 001 Copyright 2000 Entrant 001";
> "Image 006 Copyright 2000 Entrant 002";
> "Image xxx Copyright 2000 Entrant 250"?

I kinda think that not having the names would defeat the purpose of a
copyright notice in the first place.  I'm leaning towards leaving in the
copyrights even during the people's choice voting (subjective anyway), but
all other personal info shielded.

Just so you understand the technical side, I plan on having two sets of
images, one stamped and one not. I also am hoping to do the stamping in an
automated manner from the photographer info, so that it should be easy to
generate a set of stamped files.  I will know in a couple weeks if this is
possible.

> As for people voting for "People's Choice", I see nothing wrong with
> requiring them to register in order to vote. Easpecially if you can capture
> any information which uniquely identifies them. But with the prevelance of
> things like free hotmail accoounts (you can have any number of them), I
> think that we are going to have to rely on people voting once on principal.
> I prefer to allow a free vote for people's choice as opposed to merely an
> "entrant's vote".

OK.  I guess we'll have to judge that as it comes in.
We probably shouldn't give away the biggest prize to the people's choice
award, eh?