Re: New Intro Page

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, James Purchase wrote:

> Erik,
>
> Once Sunday is past I would like to replace the text on the introduction
> page of the web site with something more appropriate (kind of useless to be
> inviting people to enter once the deadline is past).

I had also planned on adjusting the site itself, i.e. hiding the
registration and entry.  So this would dovetail nicely.  Ideally if we
have it ready to go on Saturday, I can just flip the switch Sunday.

> I would like to have a
> list of the countries where entries have been received from so that I can
> say something about the geographic range that our first try at this has
> attracted.

Sounds good.  Norway, USA, Canada, Singapore, Venezuela, Italy, Turkey,
Indonesia, Greece.

> I'll probably just send you a plain text file with the replacement text, if
> this is O.K.

Ya sure.  Ya betcha.

> I'd also like to have your take on when the images will be "viewable" by the
> public in the ""Showcase". I realize that no one has requested to keep their
> tank out of the Contest so some may think it superfluous to bother with two
> separate sections, as the same entries will appear in both, but I think it
> is important that we continue to put equal emphasis on the "Showcase"
> portion of our efforts.

I think we need to wait until the judges are done before opening it up to
any viewing. I have been telling the few who asked (ok, just one guy) that
the LATEST is the 30th, but if the judges are done, we'll open it up for
viewing earlier.

How long a period do we open it up for popular choice voting?  A week?  A
month?  Whatever time is between the judges' "OK" and November 30th?

> If it is possible, (and if it can be done with minimal effort on your part),
> I think it might be interesting if people have two ways of viewing the
> images - via the "Showcase" and then later (after the judges have completed
> their work) via the "Contest". As the geographical diversity of the hobby
> was what got this whole thing started in the first place, it might be
> interesting if, in the Showcase, entries are sorted by geographic location
> rather than by the classes we have in the Contest. This would remind people
> that it was to see if there were any noticeable differences in how hobbyists
> in various parts of the world approach aquascaping that was the genesis of
> this whole thing.

Of course, this is possible from a technical standpoint.
I do think it best, however, that we wait until the judges are done.