Amano's International Aquatic Plants Layout Contest 2001. (fwd)

Hi guys... OK, first resist the urge to throw a brick through the monitor.
Then look and see what we can get/learn from this: Amano's contest has
been announced.  I have put a link to it on the AGA page (with offhand
snide editorial comment about them calling it the "First International
Aquatic Layout Contest").

So, first the catty "we're better" impressions: Personally, looking at
their rules, I think they have not thought it through nearly as well as we
did, and they're going to run into trouble with their extremely vague
guidelines.  They only require one slide, and ask for ONLY slides...
they're clearly looking for pub-quality stuff.  Definitely a different
angle than ours.  My guess is they won't have this stuff available on
their website the way we have.  Probably publish it in a book or magazine.

OK, but: First prize is 1 million yen, nothing to sneer about.

They have a LOT of judges all over the world, though their choice of old
guys is interesting, perhaps a Japanese "respect" thing (Notice the choice
of the elder and bigger-name Windelov instead of Christensen, and Herbert
R. Axelrod for the US, who IMO is nothing but a name).  Only overlap is
Kaspar Horst.

Note from Neil's forwarded message, they do acknowledge our contest and
send us congratulations.  I still wonder if Amano even got our request for
him to be a judge.