Re: Tasks to Do (tentative and long)

Good timing, I just woke up...

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, James Purchase wrote:

> stuff archived will also help in future years - I notice that the archives
> from last year are mighty thin on discussion and input.

Yeah, part of this is that we got that late start in April or May, and
essentially when discussion started to take a dive into complaints, I took
the remaining planning off-list (most notably with dave varnderwall who
did the PDF and helped test a major problem on the website, but also with
diana and dave who handled the donations and ribbons, respectively).

> We need to settle dates quickly - I'm perfectly cool with the Contest being
> timed to coincide with the AGA Convention (I only hope that this time
> around, I'm able to be there in person). Our "closing date" would have to be
> at least 30 days prior to that (perhaps 45 days, to give us some leeway with
> the judging).

30 days was just a little bit too tight for the judging last year.
Didn't have time for the judges to choose the best of show (I ended up
using the overall rankings), because the last judge turned in his scores
literally the day before I left for the convention.  Remember also back in
2000 that one of the judges turned out to be on vacation for the first
half month!

> ** Announcement of Winners @ AGA Convention - and display of all entries on
> the website - Nov. 8-10, 2002 (I'm assuming that the actual announcement
> would be made sometime on Saturday, November 9, 2002?????).

I don't know if they're planning to do Houston the same way they did
Chattanooga, but in other "fish" clubs they announce awards and such at
the banquet.  In these other conventions, the banquet is Saturday night.
But in Chattanooga, the banquet was Friday night.  I tried very hard to be
able to do the announcements on Friday, but technical problems getting the
projector and screen approved for the banquet room prevented me, so I
ended up doing it on Saturday.

Another thing was that I planned to "flip the switch" on the website just
after my presentation, but was so utterly busy running A/V things that I
never got a chance to do it until I got home the next day.

> Hopefully, Dave VanderWall can work his magic again in promo area (PDF's)
> [B.T.W., I now have the full Adobe Acrobat 5 program, as well as access to
> all of the other Adobe software - PageMaker, Illustrator and Photoshop].

If Dave hasn't updated his copy of Acrobat, I would suggest you do it.
We had trouble with Acrobat 3, formatting special characters and the like.
I have Arobat 4, as well as InDesign and Photoshop, plus my usual array of
Linux tools.  I would heavily suggest that if we do a "brochure" like last
year, that we do it in InDesign or Pagemaker instead of Word.  Word
doesn't impose documents (re-arrange the pages from 1-2-3-4 to 4-1-2-3 for
printing the booklet) very well.

> I've pulled the following list of print magazines from the ADA poster. Does
> anyone know of any other print magazines (from anywhere in the world)??? I
> may post a query regarding this on the APD.

FAMA (US)
Practical Fishkeeping (UK) - we have a contact with Peter Bradley
Aquarium Heute (DE) - Kaspar Horst
Aqua Planta - Kassleman?

> One thing that might help persuade print mags to take notice of us, is if we
> let them know that we would be interested in placing copies of any "press"
> we get on our website with a link back to the appropriate magazine - sort of
> the same idea as the Prize Donors links.

Nice!

> B.T.W. Erik, the "re-do" of the AGA website is beautifully done!

Thanks!