Re: [AGA Contest] A straw dog

A very bgood start at a simpler guidance on biotopotypical
entries.

You are proposing that regionally thematic entries be
allowed but discouraged in this category?

What about inbetweeners?

sh
--- roger <roger@spinn.net> wrote:

> The letter includes at the end a few paragraphs that
> could be used or modified
> and used as guidance for entrants in the biotope
> category.  I try to explain
> what a biotope is, what a biotope aquarium is and where
> common inaccuracies
> lie.  I also try to resolve the relative importance of
> accuracy and aquascaping.
>
> Please comment, edit, rant, discard or abuse as you see
> fit.  Just don't
> ignore it.  In particular, it might be good to include
> some of Steve's
> discussion.  Simplifications to syntax and vocabulary are
> welcome.  I would
> like it to stay as short as it can be and still cover the
> necessary material.
>
> I think entrants in the biotope category should include a
> description of the
> biotope represented on their entry form.  That
> instruction probably belongs on
> the instructions for entering or on the entry form itself
> rather than in this
> guidance.
>
> If the Biotope/Natural Aquarium category is really
> intended for biotope tanks
> then I would like to see the name changed to "Biotope
> Aquascapes" or something
> similar.  That will avoid confusion with "Nature
> Aquariums".  It might also
> discourage entries that are partly self-sustaining
> ecosystems (my concept of
> "Natural Aquarium") but which are not biotopes.
>

> Roger
>
> On to the promised text...
>
> A biotope is a region that has homogeneous environmental
> conditions and which
> is populated by a homogeneous native population of plants
> and animals.  A
> single stream or lake may include numerous biotopes.  For
> instance, a stony
> riffle in a stream may be one biotope while a nearby
> silt-bottomed pool on the
> same stream may be a different biotope.  On the other
> hand, the same biotope
> may occur in numerous streams in a region where all stony
> riffles or
> silt-bottomed pools support the same community of plants
> and animals.
>
> A biotope aquarium models the physical conditions in a
> biotope and is
> populated by plants and animals that are found together
> in that biotope.  In
> an accurate biotope aquarium the water temperature, water
> movement, water
> chemistry, color and turbidity mimic the natural habitat.
>  Stones, wood and
> debris if present in the biotope are also present in the
> biotope aquarium.
> The substrate in the biotope aquarium is similar to the
> natural substrate.
> The aquarium would probably not include all of the plants
> and animals native
> to the biotope but the only plants and animals in a
> biotope aquarium are
> [...]

=====
Erik Olson annouces AGA 2004 Annual Aquascaping Awards
at the annual Convention Nov 12, 13 & 14;
Details & Registration at www.aquatic-gardeners.org  & www.gwapa.org