Re: [AGA Contest] A straw dog

--- roger <roger@spinn.net> wrote:
> . . .
> If the Biotope/Natural Aquarium category is really
> intended for biotope tanks
> then I would like to see the name changed to "Biotope
> Aquascapes" or something
> similar.  That will avoid confusion with "Nature
> Aquariums".  It might also
> discourage entries that are partly self-sustaining
> ecosystems (my concept of
> "Natural Aquarium") but which are not biotopes.

I have no problem losing the word natural. While I believe
I understand the original intent for it's use in the cat
name, it seems to me tad too oxymoronic -- a glass box is
just too artificial.

I think "aquascape" goes without saying; it's an
aquascaping contest. Which would leave us with what I think
you are suggesting, a category where the entries are
intended to be only biotopes. This is much narrower than
the original cat. Can the eschewed entries be fairly
compared in the the size cats? While not as limited as
biotopes, they are meant to be representational and suffer
limitations that others don't -- giving new meaning for
some aquascapers to "dutch treat." ;-)

Speaking of which, similar arguments could be made to
separate out Dutch styles from American and Amano styles,
each havving a diff set of strctures, and some more than
others. But do we have enough entries to make that move
yet?

My concern isn't that Biotopes can't be distinct cat, but
that the number of entries will be too few to warrant a
category of it's own.

sh

=====
Erik Olson annouces AGA 2004 Annual Aquascaping Awards
at the annual Convention Nov 12, 13 & 14;
Details & Registration at www.aquatic-gardeners.org  & www.gwapa.org