Re: [AGA Contest] More proofing -- Banners and Posters and Flyers and nits thereupon

Under Guidleines, General, 1st paragraph, 3rd sentence,
replace "In order to" with "To". This is a substitution on
can and should always make. "In Order" adds no content to
the sentence.

In that same sentence, replace "which describe the" with
"that describe the".

Under Guidelilnes, General, Photo Guidelines, 2nd sentence,
replace "in order to pariticapte" with "to participate".

Same paragraph, 3rd sentence. I'd take out the word
"actually". How else can one take pictures? ;-)

Under Guidelines, General, Entry Fees and Forms, 2nd
sentence, replace "As has been noted eariler" with "As
noted earlier" or using active voice, "As we noted
earlier".

Same sentence, use the word "tried" in place of utilizing
the word "endeavored" ;-)

Under General Entrance Guidelines, do we need to state a
limit on number of entries. How liekly are we to get more
than 300 entries?

Under Judging and Awards, it's not clear how the math
works. The judges award points to each entry and then what?
I assume the simplest method, which is that all the judges'
points are tallied for each entry and within a class,
entries ranked based on those sums? I imagine this is how
it works. I mean we're not using Borda Counts or the
Condorcet (multiple pairwise) Method, etc., all of which
would be based on the judges' points but which can give
very diff results based on the same judge-awarded points.

If we're doing the simplest method, let's say, "all the
judges' points are tallied for each entry and within a
class, entries ranked based on those sums."

I think we should say whether the judges may talk to each
other about entries before they award points or if each
judges in isolation from the others.

Under Judging Guidelines, Criteria, Selection and Use of
Materials, 2nd bullet, 2nd sentence, begin sentence with an
initial uppercase letter -- i.e., us "I.e.," instead of
"i.e.,".

Under Guidelines, General, Biotope Guidelines, I think
we're blaming too much on misunderstanding of "biotope"
rather than the name "Biotope/Natural", which we have seen
fit to change because it lent to the confusion.  So I
suggest that the 1st paragraph read:

"For years people have been confused about the category we
called "Biotope/Natural". Half the entrants submitted
things that clearly were more appropriate for the "Aquatic
Garden" category. We have renamed this category to reflect
it's restriction to biotope entries. And to avoid confusion
about biotopes, we have added this section.

Under Photo Guidelines, 7th paragraph, replace "Images may
be only altered" with "You may alter an entry image only"

Same page, last sentence, "Each image submitted to the
event must be accompanied by its own signed Photo Release
Form" or "All images you submit to the event must be
accompanied by a signed Photo Release Form -- one Form can
cover all of your images".

If an image has the entrant's name of Copyright notice
superimposed, will it be disqualified from consideration?

Under Guidelines, General, Entry Fees and Forms, 3rd
paragraph, re entry numbers. Where doesn one get an entry
number form? If we mean entry number, then replace "note on
the back of the check/money order the entry number(s)" with
"note on the back of the check/money order listing the
entry number(s)" and then say where the entrant can get an
entry number. If we mean 'number of entries', then replace
the text with "note on the back of the check/money order
stating the number of entries".

Okay, back to budget :-(

sh

--- Erik Olson <erik@thekrib.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> This should hopefully be the last round before the site
> goes live on the
> first... and hopefully the last late night for me doing
> this stuff for a
> bit!  I have updated the Event Guidelines, Poster/Notice,
> and banner ads.
>
> Take a peek at
> http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/t4.cgi
>
> (click on "Press Kit" under General).  If you have a
> minute, please feel
> free to read the brochure & notice, and reply here with
> comments,
> especially if things look just a bit too goofy (for
> instance the two
> dueling banners).
>
> Anyone wanting to contact actual magazines and they might
> want art, all
> these graphics are available in ridiculously-high
> resolution (the original
> on the main logo is something like 8000x2000 pixels).
>
> Also, it's not to late to try the entry process.  It'd be
> nice if a couple
> people tried that out from start to finish, including
> uploading photos.
> No worries, I'm going to wipe it clean once the site goes
> official.
>
>   - Erik
>
> --
> Erik Olson
> erik at thekrib dot com

> aga-contest-digest"
>   in the same message.
>   Old messages are available at
> http://lists.thekrib.com/aga-contest
>   When asked, log in as username is "aga-contest", and
> password "second".

=====
She Wrote the book on low maintenance aquatic gardening!
Diana Walstad, author of _Ecology of the Planted Aquarium_
Meet her at  - The Fifth AGA Annual Convention
Details & Registration at www.aquatic-gardeners.org & www.gwapa.org