Re: [AGA Contest] More proofing -- Banners and Posters and Flyers and nits thereupon

Thanks Scott!  Comments inline...

On Fri, 21 May 2004, S. Hieber wrote:

> Under Guidleines, General, 1st paragraph, 3rd sentence,
> replace "In order to" with "To". This is a substitution on
> can and should always make. "In Order" adds no content to
> the sentence.

Can't find that.  There are about three or four "In order to"'s (most of
which changed), but none there.

> In that same sentence, replace "which describe the" with
> "that describe the".

Ah, now I get it.. this must be "Submission Guidelines"...

> Under General Entrance Guidelines, do we need to state a
> limit on number of entries. How liekly are we to get more
> than 300 entries?

It sounds cool.  Much like the convention limitation imposed the first
year, it hasn't been an issue, but someday... So I'll leave it in for
historical coolness and future relevantness... :)

> Under Judging and Awards, it's not clear how the math
> works. The judges award points to each entry and then what?
> I assume the simplest method, which is that all the judges'
> points are tallied for each entry and within a class,
> entries ranked based on those sums? I imagine this is how
> it works.

It says: "Within each category, the judges' individual ranking for each
entry (based on the total scores awarded to each) will be used to
determine the overall ranking of entries within the category."

This means that each judge's scores are used to determine the judge's
individual ranking for the category.  The overall (average) RANKINGS, not
the scores, are used to award first, second and third.

This gets rid of the scoring bias induced by each judge (some may only
award half the points and a large fluctuation, while others score
everything near the top of the points).  In past years, some judges
(notably Neil in year 1) just used the points as a scratchpad to rank the
tanks that they had pre-ranked on paper.  This is also why I opt not to
show the raw scores to the public -- they're absolutely meaningless beyond
their use to determine rankings.  I will, however, take a peek at them in
the case of a tie-breaker.

> If we're doing the simplest method, let's say, "all the
> judges' points are tallied for each entry and within a
> class, entries ranked based on those sums."

..so basically we should NOT say this. :)

> I think we should say whether the judges may talk to each
> other about entries before they award points or if each
> judges in isolation from the others.

Cool, done.

> If an image has the entrant's name of Copyright notice
> superimposed, will it be disqualified from consideration?

'course not.  I'll just ask them to resend it or crop it out.
Only one or two guys do that each year.  More annoying are the ones who
include a giant black frame around their photo that I have to crop out
(wasted space).