Re: [AGA Contest] judge scoring...

Guys, this is all very subjective anyway.  All methods have their
drawbacks, and I guarantee that for every method one judge likes because
it emphasized their score, there's the other judge who is going to feel
that their input was just "thrown out".

My solution to Roger's problem in 2002 is now to have four or five judges,
not three.  This removes the one-judge-fluke problem.  I would be happy to
try a harmonic mean calculation on last year's scores if I get the time.
But seriously, if two of the five judges award an entry first place, it's
going to probably get first.

Scott, if we awarded 1st place based on the number of 1sts awarded, there
would be a 5-way tie for 1st place in some categories.

None of these suggestions is going to solve the problem of entries that
some judges think are brilliant and some think are awful.

OK, on to my next delimma.  Judges.  I've now had several suggestions of
people... but they're the *same* people who are judging the AB contest and
now the DFWAPC contest.  They'll probably even be judging a lot of the
same tanks.  I think we need some diversity here.

  - Erik