Re: [AGA Contest] judge scoring...

--- Erik Olson <erik@thekrib.com> wrote:
> Guys, this is all very subjective anyway.

Yes the scoring and counting are both subjective! I wasn't
arguing for a new method, I jsut thought for the record the
description should should apply uniquely to the method we
use rather than to several diff methods. I thought it worth
mentioning but few care, even think about the counting
method. A nod is a good as a wink, in this case. Or as the
coach used to say, "Don't worry if the horse is blind, jsut
load the wagon."

> Scott, if we awarded 1st place based on the number of
> 1sts awarded, there
> would be a 5-way tie for 1st place in some categories.

Lol, yes and if we did multiple pairwise -- think of all
the permutations for each judge to consider. But the judges
would probably agree with the results.

> None of these suggestions is going to solve the problem
> of entries that
> some judges think are brilliant and some think are awful.

Hey, some of the judges aren't that good as judges either
-- being a good painter doesn't make you a good critic.
But this contest makes very good choices about judges.

> OK, on to my next delimma.  Judges.  I've now had several
> suggestions of
> people... but they're the *same* people who are judging
> the AB contest and
> now the DFWAPC contest.  They'll probably even be judging
> a lot of the
> same tanks.  I think we need some diversity here.

Diff judges by any and all means. People complain like
crazy about the judging. Let's not worry too much about
famous -esp if we have Amano, just choose folks that will
probably be good at it.

That's all I have to say about that.

sh

=====
She Wrote the book on low maintenance aquatic gardening!
Diana Walstad, author of _Ecology of the Planted Aquarium_
Meet her at  - The Fifth AGA Annual Convention
Details & Registration at www.aquatic-gardeners.org & www.gwapa.org