Re: [AGA Contest] judge scoring...

On Friday 21 May 2004 22:07, you wrote:

> My solution to Roger's problem in 2002 is now to have four or five judges,
> not three.  This removes the one-judge-fluke problem.

A panel larger than 3 is a good idea.   A larger panel doesn't solve the
(perhaps academic) problem that you are giving admitted "noisey" signals an
equal weight in the scoring.  If you have an opportunity to use a harmonic
mean on last year's results then you can do so and see if it gives a more
rational outcome.  I'll gladly accept your opinion of what is rational.

> OK, on to my next delimma.  Judges.  I've now had several suggestions of
> people... but they're the *same* people who are judging the AB contest and
> now the DFWAPC contest.  They'll probably even be judging a lot of the
> same tanks.  I think we need some diversity here.

May I suggest Robert Hudson?  He's a promoter of aquascaping, an excellent
student of aquascaping and he's well-known in the hobby.  He's also well
practiced in providing helpful comments for tanks that aren't quite there yet.

Shawn Prescott is also internationally well-known in the hobby with many
years of experience as an aquarium keeper and in the aquarium business.  He
has a particular interest in aquascaping and aquascape photography.  I don't
know if Shawn might be judging some other contest, but I know he isn't
judging the AB show.

Roger