Re: [AGA-Contest] The Biotope Problem Continues (93) (fwd)

Looks like I had the list configured wrong, so replies weren't going to the list. Should work now.

Yes, I am suggesting that a couple of people help me pre-select biotopes before the judging starts. I *think* they should be reclassified, but I want a second opinion.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 03:27:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: S. Hieber <shieber@yahoo.com>
To: Erik Olson <erik@thekrib.com>
Subject: Re: [AGA-Contest] The Biotope Problem Continues (93)

Are you suggesting a pre-rating on how well the entries fit
the biotope guidelines? Or are you suggesting an
eliminative screeening. I'm guessing the former since we
tolkd folks "No entries will be disqualifed based on
inaccuracies."

Next year it might be a good idea to pre-screen so that
someone can decide if they want to move their entry to
another category or jsut withdraw. It might be a good idea
if we can find willing presecreeners.

sh
--- Erik Olson <erik@thekrib.com> wrote:

Hi folks,

Keep in mind that the official final tally will probably
be 3-5 less than
this unofficial running number, but still... two days
left to go, the
slackers still haven't checked in, AND still no Senske
package.  Folks, I
think we're going to go over 100 this time. :)

OK, now the bad news, and my topic for today:  There have
been four
biotope entries, and it's my opinion that three should
all be tossed out
of the category.  One of them the entrant confused
"Nature Aquarium" with
"Biotope", one uses appropriate plants for a particular
continent but
doesn't attempt to duplicate a natural setting, and one
of them I'm not
sure WHAT it's trying to do at all.  A fourth entry might
actually be
really good, but I need to pour through Kasselmann and
Baensch to verify
the species and such.

Question: What do you guys think of bringing in a couple
of people/judges
to pre-screen these entries on the 16th before the
general judging starts?
I'm a little shaky deciding to do this on my own.  Maybe
Karen & Phil?

=====
Plant your feet in Washington, D.C. and touch the moon -- at the National Air &
Space Museum.
And learn the art of aquascaping Senske style at AGA2K4.

Speakers, field trip, Ray "Kingfish" Lucas, and more. . .
The Annual AGA Convention, 2004, November 12-14.

Convention Details/Registration at aquatic-gardeners.org & gwapa.org