[AGA-Contest] [AGA-mcm] Convention Feedback (fwd)

[Just archiving this suggestion for next year on this list.]

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:24:22 -0500
From: Phil Edwards <biotypical@hotmail.com>
To: aga-mcm@thekrib.com
Subject: [AGA-mcm] Convention Feedback

Going on my experiences last year I think it would be really neat to have some sort of deal for first time convention goers. I think it would make it most comfortable to have a group of folks willing to introduce newbies to folks and answer questions be introduced as a group at the Friday night gathering. That way those folks who want the help will know who to do to and those who don't won't be singled out by a badge or the like.

I would love to see a separate time/place for extended commentary by the judges. The idea of a dedicated workshop this year was excellent and I'm sorry it got removed. Most of the folks there had questions about how things scored and why some comments were made. Not a few folks have approached me afterward wanting more input. This would be an excellent Banquet talk.

Even better, we could/should announce the results on Saturday morning then later on in the day have a Judges Forum where the judges can give their commentary with less of a time constraint and possibly answer questions about the process/specific aquascapes. As a participant I think this would be the most useful workshop of the whole weekend. 90% of the folks take the judges commentary very seriously and would like more than a few sentances of feedback. Giving the results earlier also has the benefit of giving the winners more time with the plant folks to appreciate their accomplishments. That extra time could mean a lot for the folks who won and would make it a little more special for them.

Cheryl,
Thanks, I'll be looking for those certificates.

Best,
Phil