Re: [AGA-Contest] Now my own comments

OK, this I can easily comment on:

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Roger Miller wrote:

It's difficult for the judges to make comments on every entry, the comments
they make are probably never adequate to explain their placement, the comments
are often off-base and frequently wrong.  Generally, it is impossible to avoid
mistakes in comments when the comments are based entirely on photographs.

I dunno about this.  I found many of the comments to be spot-on this year.

Unfortunately, for all entrants except the top three in each category the
contest provides no result or information other than judge's comments.  The
AGA contest would be a better contest if we de-emphasized the judge's comments
and provided the contestants with more information about the placement of
their entries.

...and of course this goes completely against all the requests I was getting from people to make sure Amano commented on every tank.

It has been my experience that beyond the first few placings, the lower ones are all noise. I consider it quite pretentious how ADA's contest ranks everyone all the way to #500.

I suggest that judge's comments should be solicited only after the
contest placements are known and that only the top few finishers in each
category should receive comments.  At a minimum AGA should tell all of the
contestants where their entry finished in the rankings.  It would be even
better if AGA provided a summary of the scores by category.

This also flies counter to my experience. By leaving comments after the placements are known, each judge is now "tainted" by the other scores and less likely to leave comments reflective of their own experience, and more about the "group-think". I also disagree on reporting of raw scores, because the raw scores are just used by the judges to generate their placings.

Something else to consider here. In fish shows, dog shows, and undoubtably zillions of other cases, the judges are never required to disclose ANYTHING. THe more that is disclosed, I find the more angry people get. If we disclose the raw scores, now contestants can get ticked off because a judge gave them a particular low raw score.