[AGA-Contest] Judging

Now I don't have to comment much because Erik has already said much of what
I WOULD have said.<g>

There will ALWAYS be differences of opinion, because judging art, in any
form, is subjective.  In most cases where the judge's placings were quite
varied this year, I could see and understand why the other judge(s)
disagreed with me. (doesn't mean that it would have changed my mind, but I
respect their opinions)

Personally, I thought this was the best group of tanks we've seen, and I
think the placings were OVER ALL more consistent than they've been since the
first year. (and the only reason that was more consistent was there were
fewer really nice tanks to choose from in the beginning)  I think we only
had two exceptional tanks this year, and those two tanks rose to the top.
Notably, ALL the judges agreed.  We had MANY which were in the very, very
nice category, but just didn't match those top two.

You can play around with point structure, or categories for which points are
awarded, but I guarantee, you will have a group of mal-contents no matter
what you do.<g>  As far as the viability score is concerned, I consider this
a base-line score.  There is NO reason that any aquarist can't get full
marks in that category. (though not all do)  This category actually has more
weight in the ADA contest.

_IF_ we were to play with judging standards, what I would want to see is a
move toward bring the criteria for different contests in line with each
other, for instance, work with ADA to develop a scoring system that was the
same for both contests.  Trouble is, I like ours better than theirs.<g>

Karen