Re: Amano at the convention and "the moss"

James Purchase wrote:

> Karen,
>
> > Last year we discussed the idea of selling video tapes of the convention,
> > and the committee made he decision not to because we didn't want to take
> > away from people attending the convention itself.
>
> Granted, you don't wish to do anything to detract from the enjoyment of
> those attending the conference, but the AGA is an organization with an
> international membership - how many members who live a very long distance
> from Chattanooga, Tennessee will be able to make it? How are _they_ being
> served by what is in effect a regional get together in Tennessee? Not
> everyone can afford the costs that will be associated with going that far
> for a weekend.
>
> I would hope that the Steering Committee of the AGA would do everything in
> their power to see that as many members as possible could benefit from its
> activities, not merely those close enough or financially capable of being in
> Chattanooga in person.
>
> I fully understand the "volunteer" basis of the organization, and I know
> only too well that nothing gets done without _someone_ volunteering to do
> it, but perhaps the membership could be polled, via this mailing list or via
> the APD to see if there is an AGA member who does intend to be there, and
> who might be interested in taping some or all of the lectures? I don't think
> that anyone expects a "Hollywood" style tape, but a VHS tape of the lectures
> would be invaluable to a lot of members and non-members alike. The AGA
> Steering Committee itself doesn't have to be the ones doing the taping or
> selling/distributing the tapes, although it would be a natural extension of
> the AGA Bookstore.
>
> I think that the _fact_ that the organization has been able to do a
> Conference is a wonderful thing and I hope that this year's event is even
> better than last year's. Being there will be far more rewarding than any
> tape could be. But the organizers should be open to every possibility to
> maximize the potential benefit that this Conference can bring to every AGA
> member.
>
> Just a few thoughts.....
>
> James Purchase
> Toronto

As James noted, many of us won't be able to attend the convention.  Rather than
deciding whether to prepare a video and then offer it for sale AFTER the
convention, why not see if there is anyone who will be attending the convention
will be willing to videotape the workshops for the AGA (the AGA could help to
encourage the volunteer by perhaps offering a seat or two in the front for
optimum viewing and recording in addition to providing the tape(s)),  and check
amongst the list subscribers (and if time permits the AGA members who receive
the info via the digest) for the number of individuals who want to subscribe
(pay in advance) to the AGA 2001 Convention Video for say, $20 plus postage.  If
there isn't sufficient interest, then shame on us for complaining and then not
willing to commit when given the opportunity; but if there is enough interest,
non attending members will be able to see and hear what went on at some of the
events, and the AGA will have additional funds in the treasury.

Jerry
Southern California