Re: Algae

> You have a tremendous amount of light, which puts a much higher demand on
> the system for nutrients. Here is what I would do:
>
> A) get rid of the PCs
> B) get rid of the DIY CO2 and invest in a pressurized CO2 system. You need
> constant, reliable CO2 level
> C) stop using Cycle
> D) if your powerhead is set at or above the water surface, it will make
your
> CO2 level even more irradic
> E) get rid of the Chinese algae eaters...nasty fish
> F) keep an eye on the plecos, they are like lawn mowers to plants
> G) dont know what kind of plants you have, but you should be breaking the
> tank in with lots of fast growing plants
>
> Robert Paul Hudson
> aquabotanic.com

Let me expand a little more since this is a slow day..

There is some controversey of the effectiveness of products like Cycle, but
I wont say any more considering the current legal enviornment on the
internet, but IMHO the whole question of cycling nitrofying bacteria in a
well planted and balanced aquarium is mute because fast growing plants will
consume ammonium and nitrate as fast as the fish and animals can produce it,
particularly with as much light as you have.

If it were me, I would line the entire back of the tank from one end to the
other with the fastest growing stem plants. Cram as many as will fit with
species like Myriophyllum, Ambulia, or Hygrophila. These plants react almost
immediately to light and begin growing using up excess nutrients and
starving algae. This is the way to break in a new tank.

To reach a CO2 level of 20 to 30ppm, you need to know the pH level of your
water from the tap, and what the KH value of your water is. This way you can
determin what the pH of your water should be after adding CO2 to reach the
desired CO2 level. (the more CO2 you add, the lower your pH goes, and the KH
is a buffer to prevent pH swings) It is much easier to ajust the CO2 level
with a pressurized system. Keeping the right CO2 level will keep those fast
growing plants growing and continuing to starve algae. Along with CO2 you
need a sufficient level of nitrogen, phosphate, potassium, calcium,
magnesium, and minerals for the plants to feed on. In a new tank N is
provided by the fish and animals in the form of ammonium and nitrate.

Most algae killers would harm the plants and or bacteria. There is a barley
extract that can inhibit algae growth, but it is far more important to
achieve the right overall balance of light and nutrients, including CO2.

Robert Paul Hudson